The birds are chirping and daylight savings has come, which means…SPRING IS COMING. (Hopefully!) I am sure we still have tons of cold left to endure but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Since we all still have our slow cookers ready for warm, cozy meals, I thought this would be a great addition with this slow cooker burrito brown rice bowl!
In completely unrelated news…Recipe Redux is at it again!
Along with the USA Rice Federation, we have been challenged with a great opportunity to “Think Rice” by utilizing this delish grain as the foundation for a recipe.
So, why should we “Think Rice”, you ask?
U.S. grown rice is a perfect choice for any side dish or main entree, especially brown rice. It’s a whole grain, which means it has fiber and will keep you fuller longer. Plus, it’s gluten free and super versatile, which I love. Not to mention, it’s affordable and accessible.
Add some of those nourishing black beans, bell pepper and some spices, and you have one balanced, totally vegan, dish!
I’ve been thinking of ways to incorporate my slow cooker into my cooking and thought it would be a good idea to try a rice dish using it.
Sometimes, rice needs a lot of attention to avoid overcooking or undercooking it, but using the slow cooker allows you to throw everything in for a few hours without having to worry about checking it.
Now, this isn’t one of those throw everything into the crock pot, go to work and come home with dinner ready, kind of slow cooker recipes.
It’s more of a, you have 3 hours to kill and want to use your crock pot.
In all seriousness, this would be great for a weekend recipe, or maybe a night when you get home early from work.
Let’s get cooking!
Slow-Cooker Burrito Brown Rice
- 1 cup U.S. Grown Brown Rice**
- 2.5 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 -15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed (no salt added)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1/2 cup jalapeño peppers jarred, sliced, tamed and drained
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 tsp coarse kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- **FYI -- U.S.-grown rice can be identified with “Grown in the USA Rice” logo on packages of 100% domestically grown rice in grocery stores or package statements identifying the product origin as USA.
- Lightly coat the bottom of slow cooker with oil so that it is evenly greased. (I used olive oil, but you can also use a nonstick spray)
- Combine ingredients and stir. Cook on low for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, stir and check rice. If you would like it to turn out like sticky rice, continue to cook for additional half hour to an hour on low, until desired consistency achieved.