We are merely days away from Thanksgiving and I don’t know about you, but I am SO excited because of my latest recipe, these Pumpkin Pie Mini Dumplings! This month’s Recipe Redux theme is all about healthy holiday desserts and these are just PERFECT.
I once saw a cooking demo that showed how to use yogurt and flour for dough. I’ve always wanted to try it ever since but couldn’t remember what else she may have added. So I just tried adding the two together and it worked! It’s kind of amazing.
Do you HAVE to make dough? Absolutely not! These can also be made with puff pastry or wonton wrappers. The baking time may need to be adjusted, but definitely worth trying!
Let’s get cooking!
Pumpkin Pie Mini Dumplings
- 12 oz vanilla yogurt I used two 6oz Dannon Yogurt
- 2 & 1/4 cups All Purpose flour Plus extra flour for rolling out dough - about a cup
- 1 can pumpkin
- 5 oz can 2% evaporated milk
- 1/8 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine flour and salt. Add yogurt and mix with hands until dough consistency reached. If dough is sticky, add extra flour until no longer sticky. Cover with towel and set aside.
- Combine ingredients for filling. Set aside.
- Roll out dough, ensuring to flour your work area. Knead dough until dough is soft, not sticky. Roll as thin as possible without breaking dough. Cut into 3 inch diameter round circles, either using cookie cutter or glass rim (I used pint glass).
- Fill with about 1 tsp filling into center and fold dough in half. Use a fork to press the dumplings closed. Place on parchment paper.
- Whisk one egg and brush the mixture on top of each dumpling. Bake in oven for 22-24 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.
- Serve with sifted confectioners sugar on top.
If you have left over filling, add about 1/4-1/2 cup of greek yogurt and serve it on the side for dip. Or just add it to your yogurt in the morning! You can also mix in some cinnamon into the confectioners sugar for an extra kick of spice!
As always, hope you enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving!!